Veterinary Entrepreneurship Academy
Founded at Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine, the VEA was designed to create opportunities for veterinary students to gain experience in business operations to diversify their skills and enhance their learning.
The Veterinary Entrepreneurship Academy is a unique 12-week program that combines startups, students, universities and veterinary practices to accelerate animal health innovation.The goal of the VEA is to educate, inspire, and activate veterinary students as they are transformed into future leaders and innovators within the veterinary and pet industries. It is designed to empower these students with the mindset and skills to thrive in the changing world of animal health.By combining a summer curriculum in entrepreneurship with a practical internship in a startup company, we deliver a unique program which advances student learning and accelerates new products and services from some of industry’s most promising companies.
The world is changing:
- The average lifespan of a S&P 500 company has decreased from 67 years to 15 years.
- The time for a company to grow from an idea to a billionaire dollar valuation has gone from over a decade to less than a year.
- The cost of starting a company has dropped significantly, allowing entrepreneurs to use powerful tools to build solutions which can impact millions of people.
The Veterinary profession isn't immune to these changes:
- 67% of vets said their clients use the internet to look up pet health information.
- New sources of pet data is projected to grow from 9 billion to 50 billion sources by 2020.
- Over the last 3 years, 10 on-demand pet care businesses have been developed
- Launch of veterinary innovation lab - collision space for faculty, students, partners, alumni to encounter new technology copanies and trends.
- Faculty training program - Creating of a faculty innovation certification program. Target of 10 faculty members from 3+ institutions.
- Adopter practice network - develop a network of 25+ practices to help accelerate novel concepts and technologies. Launch of case studies.
"[The program] not only gave me the tools and experiences to see this profession in new and imaginative light, but also encouraged me to change the status quo for the sake of our patients, clients, and fellow employees."
"Other students and I have learned business principles, built a network, and further developed our knowledge and experience of what veterinary medicine means."
"VEA has exposed me to a coming world of digital innovations that will transform the veterinary field."
"As a partner company aiming to enter the veterinary market with little experience, the VEA program provided us with access and expertise that directly formed our go-to-market strategy. The work we did with this summer played an integral role in our central decision making process, which would not have been possible without the VEA program."
"Working with the Veterinary Entrepreneurship Academy and Adam, Aaron, and Caitlin has really helped Voyce be top of mind with TAMU CVM's clinics, and having a student to dig deep into our technology, by learning it, using it, and communicating it to other students and faculty has given us great insights that we couldn't have had otherwise."